Home Forums Saltwater Fishing Surf Sessions

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Carson Dicicco
    Keymaster

Hello everyone!

Going to create this forum for our surf fly fishing outings. Post tips, reports, patterns, grip and grins and anything else you feel is missing.

– Carson D.

Don Wheeler
    Keymaster

Cool. Look forward to participating Carson

Carson Dicicco
    Keymaster

Surf update

A small group of us went to Cayucos on 3/13 to fish the incoming high tide. The group did pretty good and some nice fish were caught. A red checkerboard did the trick for me. Chris and I went the following Friday and fish just after peak low tide for a few hours. We didn’t have much luck, but still managed to get a few bites and had a fish on for a little bit. Chris talked to one of the regulars and it was slow for them too. Their suspecting it may have something to do with the full moon. I’m planning on going to Cayucos on Sunday (3/27) morning to fish the incoming high tide. I’ll try to post another update and anyone is welcome to join me.

– Carson D.

Carson Dicicco
    Keymaster

Surf Report 3-27-22

Had a great morning fishing the high tide at Avila beach with Chris and Lew. We started fishing a little before the high tide which was at 6:37 am (about 5′) and we caught surf perch with red and orange checkerboard style flies. We had overcast weather which help kept the fish active for a little longer in the morning. We also tried fishing off the rocks just to see what we could get and Chris hooked a small halibut. We might try or look into targeting them once we start hearing reports of more fish being caught in the shallows.

– Carson D.

Carson Dicicco
    Keymaster

Surf Set Up

I have a couple thoughts and questions about the different surf set ups within the group. Personally I’m running an 8 weight with 6-8″ sink tip shooting head. I’ve been told this might be a little much. I also know that some of the members use 6 & 7 weights and a couple have switch rods. Any one try all of the them and have a preference? Typically I run two flies about 3-4′ apart for a total leader length of 6-8′ of straight 15lb monofilament. What does everyone else’s leaders look like? On the past 2 trips I’ve notice that the majority of the fish I get are taking the lead fly which has been a red checkerboard. Apart of me thinks this is due to the fly being further down in the water column and more in the fish’s face, but another part of me thinks it is just fly preference. On the next trip I am planning on switching them to see if there is a difference. Anyone else have any thoughts on that? Another thing I have notice is that I’m usually hooking fish about 30-40′ away from my position. Has anyone notice anything similar for distance?

– Carson D.

Mike Dragon
    Participant

Hello Carson,

Just getting into chasing surf perch. I’m using a 9′ 7 wt and the 200 gr integrated shooting head with a 6′ 12 lb leader. Only using a single fly. I have an 11.5′ 6 wt switch rod that I’m going to try in the surf in the near future, and I have T11 shoot head setup I’ll use on it.

I use a mole crab pattern and a sand worm pattern that I tie.

Mike

Don Wheeler
    Keymaster

Hi Carson. I use a 6 wt with a Airflo Surf line (unfortunately no longer marketed) which has about a 30 ft S5 sinking tip. I have fished an 8 wt extensively in the past but find the 6 to be a lot more fun. 4-5 feet of 10 lb fluorocarbon tippet material is attached to a single fly which is either red or orange. I think that the weight of the fly is pretty important. Depending on surf conditions, sometimes a lighter fly allows you to feel it better while a heavy fly might do better in rougher or deeper water.

Don Wheeler
    Keymaster

I agree that many fish are caught at the 30 to 40 ft distance. My theory is that is where we achieve good line control. Prior to that your line may be affected by several waves and you may not feel a grab.

Don Wheeler
    Keymaster

This is a very helpful video on how to look at the structure of a beach. They cleverly had cameras on the fisherman and a drone above him. He is not a fly fisher and he kills too many fish but there is a lot to learn from the video.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Don Wheeler.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.